When deleting and Office 365 account from the Admin portal the account is not deleted and placed in the Office 365 Recycle for a period of 30 days when it is permanently deleted.
In some instances you will need to delete the account without waiting 30 days.
The steps below run through how to manually permanently delete an account from the Recycle Bin
- Open the Start menu on your computer and search for ‘Powershell’
- Right-click on Windows PowerShell and choose ‘Run as administrator’
4. Once Powershell has opened type the following command
5. Press Enter
6. The Microsoft Sign in Window will appear. Enter your Office 365 username and click Next
7. Enter you Office 365 password and click Sign in
8. You will not be connected to Office 365
9. To see what accounts are in the Office 365 Recycle Bin enter the following command
10. To delete an account from the Recycle Bin enter the following command
Remove-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName <user> -RemovedFromRecycleBin
12. Type ‘Y” to continue wither the removal
The example below removed the user firstname.lastname@example.org