After Windows 10 updates Google Chrome is slow to load pages or fails to load them at all Chrome will hang on Establishing Secure Connection or ERR_TIME_OUT. Other browsers such as Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer work fine.
The issue is caused by the ‘Cryptographic Services’ service. If you open Task Manager you can see the Service Host: Cryptographic Services using >10% CPU usage. Stopping the service will fix the issue temporarily.
To resolve the issue permanently by deleting the following registry key – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root\ProtectedRoots
- Press the Windows Key + R key to open the Run Command
- Type ‘Regedit‘ and click Ok to open the Registry Editor
- Navigate to
- Right Click on Root and select Delete
- If a Windows Security windows is shown click on Reorder and then click Ok
- Try and delete the Root Key again and it should now delete
- Reboot the machine which will recreate the Root folder and Chrome will be functioning correctly again