From time to time I have seen error code 80090016 (Your Computer’s Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned) when attempting to authenticate with Microsoft Teams(desktop version).
I was able to resolve this issue by getting windows to recreate the AAD Broker folder using the steps below.
- Log into the laptop with a different user account (an account other than the one which is displaying the above error)
- Open File Explorer (Windows Key + E)
- Click on the View tab
- Tick Hidden Items
- Navigate to the following location where **User** is a variable and the folder name will be of the user account which is having the issue C:\Users\**User**\AppData\Local\Packages\
- Rename or delete the folder Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy
- Log out of the current user account
- Log back into the user account that was having the TPM error and Windows will automatically create a new Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder
- Open Teams and you will now be able to authenticate successfully