HP Sure click is a security application that comes preloaded on some HP machines. It’s not your regular Antivirus product that actively monitors and scans for infections but more an application that opens untrusted websites and files in their own isolated container (sandbox). The HP Sure Click Infosheet can be found here (HP Sure Click Infosheet) and has a breakdown on how these containers work to prevent malicious activity.
I have seen Sure Click cause numerous issues like preventing Office applications from opening – HP Sure Click: Most Features Are Disabled Because Your Office Product is Inactive. To Use For Free, Sign in and Use The Web Version.
If you are running other mainstream AnitiVirus products and suspect HP Sure Click is causing issues you can uninstall it using the steps below.
- Open the Control Panel
- Select Programs and Features (or Windows Key + R and type appwiz.cpl and press Ok)
- Select HP Sure Click
- Click Uninstall
- Follow the prompts and select all default options to uninstall
- After HP Sure Click has been uninstalled restart the device and documents will not open without issue
Remove Chrome Extension
Sometimes after uninstalling HP Sure Click the extension is still present in Chrome. Follow the steps below to remove the extenstion
- Uninstall Google Chrome
- Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Windows key + R key on your keyboard
- Type in regedit and press Ok
- Navigate to the following location
- Delete any references to HP Sure Click
- Restart your device and reinstall Chrome