We have been having issues with our fleet of HP Elitebook laptops having issues with audio devices not being detected after installing Windows Updates.
After restarting to install updates Audio stops working and Windows shows the red cross next to the speaker icon in the taskbar to indicate no audio devices have been found.
Downloading the most recent drivers from HP’s site and reinstalling does not revolve the issue.
The fix that works is to roll back the Intel Smart Technology (Intel SST) driver to a previous version as per the steps below
- Press Windows + R key same time to bring up Run command.
- Type as devmgmt.msc, press Enter or Ok
- Find and expand System Devices.
- Look for Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller
- Right click on audio driver and select properties.
- Click the Driver tab. Then click Roll Back Driver.
- Once the driver has been rolled back to the previous version restart the computer and the audio device should now be detected and work as expected